Friday, January 2, 2015

Gift Crafting for Next Christmas

I plan to start making Christmas gifts earlier this year, (like now).  By the time the holiday season comes around again, I'll already have a stash of handmade presents to give.

Here is the first of 2015's gifts - a felted nesting bowl set.  



These were knit using a free knitting pattern by Frankie Brown.  You have to be a member of Ravelry to get the pattern, but there is no charge for joining.  

Frankie's patterns are free, but she asks that you consider making a donation to the Children’s Liver Disease Foundation if you enjoy using the patterns.  The link to donate is provided on her pattern site.

The pattern does not call for felting the pots, but I decided felting would make them sturdier, and I like the look of the finished product.  So, after knitting the pots, I washed them by hand in hot soapy water, agitating them roughly.  Then I put them into the dryer until they were almost dry.  Finally, I shaped them on household objects such as a round candle and a piece of pottery and let them dry.  When wet, they were quite mold-able, almost like clay.

I like the way that they turned out, and may knit more before the month is over.

Happy Crafting ♥

1 comment:

  1. Really fun! I always have great plans for starting early, but with my longarming business, I end up working on everyone else's gifts long before I start my own!

    ReplyDelete